Monday 8 February 2016

Recent Reads - e-Book The Girl on the Train

Nothing can compare to a real book in your hands, but recently I got a clever substitute. It is sad to see so many libraries closing down these days and because I am closely related to one this upsets me even more. I always had an unconditional love to books and it won't disappear any time soon. 

One day I was privileged to see St Paul's library. It is amazing, beautiful old books and unforgettable smell of library where books are kept for hundreds of years. I just wanted to stay, touch and read.

But even I embrace changes in the world and I do enjoy injection of technology into the modern  library. I haven't shared my recent reads for some time now, due to I have been reading a lot more e-books, than paper ones. I got overdrive on my mobile and tablet and been lost into them. I see the benefits of e-books when you are busy and on the go. It is just your device you need to carry.

I read few fictions, but only one left a slight trace in my memory - The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. If you like a bit of mystery, murder and down to earth character, you will like this book too. It tells you the story from three women's view. The Girl on the Train hooked me straight away and kept me interested until the end. 


Nothing over the top, but a good read to stir your brain up a little bit. Here are few my favourite phrases from the book.

- Hollowness: that I understand. I'm starting to believe that there isn't anything you can do to fix it. That's what I've taken from the therapy sessions: the holes in your life are permanent. You have to grow around them, like tree roots around concrete; you mold yourself through the gaps
By Paula Hawkins, The Girl on the Train


- I can’t do this, I can’t just be a wife. I don’t understand how anyone does it—there is literally nothing to do but wait. Wait for a man to come home and love you. Either that or look around for something to distract you.

By Paula Hawkins, The Girl on the Train

- But then I think, this happens sometimes, doesn’t it? People you have a history with, they won’t let you go, and as hard as you might try, you can’t disentangle yourself, can’t set yourself free. Maybe after a while you just stop trying.
By Paula Hawkins, The Girl on the Train

-I’m playing at real life instead of actually living it.”
By Paula Hawkins, The Girl on the Train


This book will sweep you away and will hold you until the end. Amazing read!


Have you read the book? What are your impressions?
You can get e-books from overdrive through your local library, I believe not only in London, but around all the UK. Worth to check it out and give your local library a chance for the future.
Marija

No comments:

Post a Comment